The Hacienda

Our oldest and most emblematic building—the Hacienda—was built in the 18th century and has been the site of the President’s office since August 8, 2005.

A place of traditions and legends, the Hacienda de Santa Catarina Mártir, then part of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción ranch, was sold by Doña María Dolores Quahuatlapatl to Don Bartolomé de León y Tenorio for eleven gold pesos on January 24, 1776.

In 1917, during the War of Independence, armed forces occupied it in order to seize its products, especially dairy ones, and in 1828 a new owner, the priest Joaquín Uselay, gave it the name it bears today.

After decades of history, the Mary Street Jenkins Foundation bought and restored the hacienda in 1967 donating it to Mexico City College, the historic predecessor of Universidad de las Américas Puebla.

 

×