The main objective of the Biology program is to educate you comprehensively in mastering and applying different research methods, from historic and ethnographic perspectives, so you can approach efficiently a number of ecological problems. You will be a professional who is able to understand numerous aspects of this science, its fundamental principles and its practical applications. Additionally, you will master theoretical elements for the use of evaluation instruments and intervention strategies in the search for solutions.
UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE OBJECTIVES
As a professional in Biology you will analyze, from a theoretical and practical viewpoint, areas of cellular and molecular biology, evolutionary biology, ecology, biodiversity and preservation of biotic resources. You will learn to evaluate, diagnose, prevent and intervene in problems related to biology. Additionally, you will be capable of making decisions relative to the environment and the effects of human activity on it.
Besides expanding you abilities at enrolment, the Biology program has as objectives:
- To give you comprehensive knowledge of the cell, its origin, evolutions and functions of its components.
- To help you understand the relationship between structure and function in organisms.
- To make you an expert in biodiversity, with molecular, cellular, individual, population and community perspectives.
- To allow you to comprehend the relationship between organisms and their habitat.
- To teach you the unity and continuity of life.
- To train you to manage and preserve natural resources.
- To foster your expertise in biotechnology.
- To give you comprehensive knowledge of the biology of organisms.
- Conviction to work for the common good and to strive for success.
- Openness in the areas of knowledge, culture and interpersonal relations
- Vision to accomplish goals through knowledge.
- Curiosity to understand the impact of human beings on the environment.
- Interest in understanding how ecosystems work.
At the end of your studies, having acquired new knowledge and expanded your abilities, you will have:
- Capacity to analyze, within a theoretical and practical framework, areas of cellular and molecular biology, evolutionary biology and ecology, as well as biodiversity and preservation of biotic resources.
- Knowledge about evaluation, diagnosis, prevention and intervention processes of biology problems in all levels of organization; and emerging strategies and programs that respond to conflicts in medical, molecular, individual, preservation and care of natural resources.
- Ability to develop methodological proposals to particular problems and to advice individual and groups.
- Competence to understand structures and ways to evaluate interaction processes at molecular, organic or ecological level.
- Ability to observe and interpret behaviors, molecular as well as that of individuals, populations, communities and ecosystems.
- Decision making insight as it relates to the environment and the effects that human activities have on it; and to identify biotic and abiotic factors that influence organisms and biological process.